Sunday, October 22, 2006

Something That's Been Nagging Me...

The Dread Emperor Misha's recent vitriol-laced attacks on the the sell-outs in the Republican party and the W himself over their recent and puzzling abandonment of conservative positions on such subjects as immigration, etc, have made me uncomfortable.

Let me clarify this statement. I am not uncomfortable because I am a dyed-in-wool Republican. I do not walk lock-step with the Party on anything, and at least, thus far, I still like the Repubs better than the alternative.

The thing that has been bugging me came clear last night in church.

"Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to the governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king."

1 Peter 2:13-17

I'll never tell the Dread Emperor how to be. I love venom-laced invective as much as the next guy. Especially when it is well-deserved. But, I realize now that these guys need our respect and prayers when they screw up while running things.

Always a change to make. I'm resigning myself to being a work in progress.