Saturday, September 15, 2007

I may be about to become PNG'd from the Washington State Bar Association

I got my new copy of the Bar News this week.

I am purposely not a member of the ABA and the South King County Bar Association because of their tendencies to support poticial causes that I do not.

Earier this summer, I was surprised to hear that a member of the WSBA was admonished for telling an off-color joke in the courthouse while examining some evidence. It appears we have a Rule of Proffessional Conduct (RPC) that prevents such behavior because we might offend someone.

"Freedom of speech for thee, but not for me", apparently. I understand not bad-mouthing the judiciary or the system. If we don't respect it, then no one can. I will gladly abide by that cannon of the profession, but the political pontificating and meddling is tiresome.

There was a letter to the editior of the Bar News this summer from a bar member in another state, who remarked that it was a joke in his office to see who the 'vicitm of the month' was in his latest copy of the Bar News.

Ealier this year, we had an article written by a law student questioning the reason and logic of beastiality laws. (It was kinda topical around here since the discovery of a group that was having sex with animals in a local town. You might have heard about it.) The general gist of the article seemed to favor repealing the laws and letting Paully the Pervert really love his dog, or horse, or whatever floats his boat. I was just so proud that my manditorily paid dues money brought me that fine bit of convincing that I simply am not enlightened.

This month? A series of articles on same-sex marriage, a topic that our state *spit* legislature is likely to take up this fall. Officially, the state bar is not supposed to take an opinion on such matters, but because the editorial board feels that the articles were "informative" and meant to stimulate debate, rather than simply "advocating" a position, that it was OK to do so. Much in the same way any litigator knows that you can say something you want the jury to hear, even though the rules may prevent it because the judge's instruction to strike the remark and for the jury to disregard it is about as effective as using a bucket lettered with holes to gather water. Anyone in favor of gay marriage will be able to quote the "pro" articles from the Bar News as proof that the WSBA supports the topic when some members, such as myself, do no such thing. The rub? Not only did a small group of members determine that it was OK for our organization to whore ourselves out this way, I have to continue to pay dues to this organization. I am not allowed to practice law in the state of Washington without being a member. If I was one of those stereotypical wealthy attorneys, they'd have my resignation Monday morning. However, I have student loans, mortgages, and credit cards to pay, so I may just register my displeasure and ask for the cost of publication for latest issue. I really haven't decided yet.