Friday, September 12, 2008

Void On Delivery From Void Between the Ears

It has been entertaining and disheartening to watch the "entertainment" community melt down in the wake Sarah Palin being named to the ticket with John McCain. I know that there is no reason to expect that many of these people are overly bright. I mean, let's face it. We would be hard-pressed to see many of them in jobs requiring great technical skill, like surgeons, and no one is likely to confuse them with rocket scientists, nor are any of them being recruited for jobs that require a keen intellect and an ability to use reason and logic. Nope. No, in the scheme of things, these mental giants we keep enriching with our money are most akin to liberal academia: convinced in the superiority of their own intellect because of their time to "consider" matters, yet completely lacking in the necessary real world experience to know that their brilliant plans are nothing but complete and utter crap. No, these people are attention whores, and if they were even reasonably intelligent attention whores, then they'd have a different gig altogether. Its called Congress. What do we expect from our "entertainers"? We want them to entertain us.

That means, if you are a musician or singer, play the music or sing. If you are a good actor, than act. If you are a mediocre actor, then be a model who talks, and if you are a bad actor, make us laugh. If you are a comedian, then stick to the jokes. But for the sake of all that is holy, quit climbing up on your soapboxes and and talking down America, and displaying your stunning ignorance to all who hear. Really. Think about this. You have reached a point of stupid that is beyond your means to convincingly sell any longer. It will have career ramifications for you. Don't believe me? How's airplay on your new songs, Dixie Chicks? What, for many attempts, you just can't seem to come up with an anti-Iraq war movie that sells tickets, Hollywood? And the announcement of Palin really brought them out of the woodwork. Not only have "Hip Ones" been proclaiming their ignorance, the has-beens have been cashing in any modicum of credibility they might otherwise retain in keeping their mouths shut, or at least thinking before speaking by guest authoring at the odious left-wing excrement wiping cloth known as the Huffington Post.

A running sample of entertainers determined to Bring The Stupid in just the last two weeks:

Annette Benning: “But the idea that people, who voted for Hillary, who tend to be Democrats, would change and vote for McCain because of Sarah Palin seems to me bizarre.”

Ummm, prolly because the dems threw all semblance of belief in feminism and equality when they started attacking Palin?

The world-renown brain surgeon and philosopher, Shirley MacLaine: “I think the idea of nominating her to commandeer some of the disenfranchised Hillary voters just because she wears a skirt is ridiculous,” MacLaine said, adding that critics who say she should stay at home with her infant son, who has Down syndrome, and her teenage daughter, who is pregnant, might be right."

Uuhhh, Shirley? Do you know who you're defending?

The washed-up Wilson sisters, f/k/a Heart: Sarah Palin’s views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song ‘Barracuda’ no longer be used to promote her image. The song ‘Barracuda’ was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there’s irony in Republican strategists’ choice to make use of it there.

US Weekly, model of good journalistic practices: Us Weekly, which unlike People and OK!, chose a rather caustic cover line (“Babies, Lies and Scandal”) is said to have lost thousands of subscribers in just the first 24 hours following the printing of the issue.

Whoopi "Discerner of Truth" Goldberg: This girl is dangerous to me. This is a very dangerous woman, because I believe for her intents and purposes, she’s OK if everybody lives a certain way, that is to say, the way God ordained men and women to be. Well, already she’s breaking that because she’s the daddy. She’s going to run the country and the husband is going to take care of the kids. I just found the whole thing sad and very musty and very much like a Bund rally, but maybe that was just me.

Wow. A breathtaking "I feel" analysis, and invoking Godwin's Law. I marvel at her superior intellect.

Alec "Listen to me you thoughtless pig" Balwin decided to join the ranks of also rans posting for the Huffington Poo: I thought McCain was the next Bush. I said so, like countless others, on this blog. … But McCain is not Bush. No matter what you think of McCain, you can’t pin that on him. Now Palin? Palin is Bush.

No, Alec. You fail politician identification. Bush is Bush. Palin is your worst nightmare. Carry on.

Albert "I haven't been funny in years" Brooks refused to be outdone at the HuffPoo: "I like Sarah Palin’s public speaking ability. I think she is fun to look at, certainly the hottest vice presidential candidate in history. But I looked up some facts. The United States has 10,000 nuclear weapons, 100 aircraft carriers, 3,000,000 people in the armed forces, and ten trillion dollars of debt.

I am now hearing from the Karl Roves of the world that having a 17-year-old daughter pregnant out of wedlock will make Palin sympathetic to millions of Americans who know the pain of that situation. But my question is WHERE WAS THE ADVICE? Do we want a president who cannot communicate to their own child that possibly having a baby a year after you get your driver’s license is not the smartest thing to do? Is this the new way for women to break the glass ceiling? To have their daughters throw their babies at it? I want my president to control their children, then they can tell the Navy what to do."


Unknown "comic", Russell Brand came from England to host the MTV VMAs, displaying the kind of attitude that made us kick the Brits in the ass. Twice.: “Some people, I think they’re called racists, say America is not ready for a black president.

“But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years?

“We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn’t be trusted with a pair of scissors.”


Then back to the HuffPo, for a new serving of incisive condescension from Jamie Lee Curtis: "I couldn't hold my own for one minute in a debate on any issue with someone like a Barack Obama or Joseph Biden and neither can Sarah Palin. When the call comes at 3AM I want a mind who was at the top of their class, who has gravitas and a real intellect. I want a leader who is a scholar who can hold the history of civilization in his head and will read and learn from the past as he charts the future."

And yet, you're in the tank for Obama. I guess you're not too terribly bright, Jamie.

Unfunny comedian Bill Maher: “She snarls.” “It was like, wow, I will send (Obama) whatever I have to to keep this snarling bitch out of the White House.”

Project much, Billy?

Matt "I know Ben Affleck" Damon: "I think there is a very good chance that Sarah Palin could be President. I don't know anything about her. And that's scary. And I don't think we are going to learn anything about her in 8 weeks."

Matt? Do you read? Watch television? Idiot.

Roger "I'm a freaking film critic" Ebert: "I trust the American people will see through Palin’s facade, and save the Republic in November. The most damning indictment against her is that she considered herself a good choice to be a heartbeat away. That shows bad judgment."

So what does that say about Obama? I mean, I know we aren't supposed to talk about him or he will look at us sternly, but he has been the freaking poster-child for bad judgement since his entry into the race.

Lynda Carter, trying to resurrect a long dead career in the HuffPoo: I like John McCain. But this woman — it’s anathema to me what she stands for. I think America should be very afraid. Very afraid. Separation of church and state is the one thing the creators of the Constitution did agree on — that it wasn’t to be a religious government. People should feel free to speak their minds about religion but not dictate it or put it into law.

Uhh, Lynda? No one has dictated anything to you. As for that whole separation of church and state thing? You might consider digging a little deeper into the history of that.

Speaking of dead careers, Paul Reiser felt the need to weigh in on political matters above his pay grade: Am I just losing my friggin’ mind? Seriously. I keep looking around the room to see if I’m living in some suddenly altered state where everything we know is now called the opposite, and nobody notices. Or can stop it.

“I wish I didn’t have to take your lunch money, but you should’nt of hadda brung it.”

We’re in the 3rd grade again. The skinny, smart kid who just moved in to the neighborhood is getting roughed-up by the asshole bully.


Call the Waaaaaaambulance. Clearly, another 'star' has been mugged by reality.

And again, Whoopi "No Behavior Too Boorish" Goldberg weighs in on "The View", with John McCain, and when the discussion turns to McCain's desire for strict constitutionalist judges, she interrupted with a statement/question "Do I need to worry about becoming a slave again? Because a lot of that document called for me to be a slave."

McCain, to his credit, did not reach over and punch her in her mouth. I doubt I could have shown the same restraint.

Charlie "I'm a reporter. No, really." Gibson, and his half quote designed to make Sarah Palin look as if she was making the war out to be a holy crusade. When she started to question the question, he replied "exact words". Only they weren't, and the question went down the memory hole on the west coast broadcast.

I'm sure that there are many, many more examples. My thanks to Dirty Harry's Place for dutifully documenting the celebrity dumbdown. But my point is that Hollywood's desire to lecture to us poor dumb rubes as they talk down a country that they didn't build and do not maintain is going to bite them in the ass. We know who we are. We are the people who build things that the country needs. We are the ones who grow the food. We are the ones who get the water and electricity to the homes. We are the ones who take the garbage away. We are the ones who treat the sick. We are the ones who make the law, keep people safe, and rescue them from bad situations. We are the ones who make scientific breakthroughs. We know what this country is capable of. We know what it can do. We know that we aren't just good people, but given our capacity for charitable giving, volunteering, and helping those who have just been laid low by disaster...anywhere in the world, and even if people hate us, we really are the best people in the world. And if you are going to continue to talk this country down, in ways that demonstrate how little you understand about the world, and about us, then we just might stop providing you with a lucrative career that enables such dangerous and insulting naivety. We make you, and we can break you. Keep that in mind when you keep trying to get my attention because you believe you have something to say. Because I am tired of being talked down to by someone either too lazy or too incapable of getting a real job.