Thursday, December 28, 2006

Who's the Third?

It has been an interesting week in the world of who died. James Brown, the godfather of soul, is no longer the hardest working man in showbiz, at least not on this planet. Gerald Ford, 83rd President, and the only one with the dubious distinction of not having been elected to the Vice-Presidency or the Presidency died at age 93. While it was sad to see the loss of an ex-President who retained some dignity and decorum in retirement, rather than pissing on our flag and nation to any hostile government willing to grant a podium (are you listening Dhimmi Carter?), the guy was old, and served the country with distinction for decades. Godspeed to him, and condolences to the Ford family. Now, the question that remains is : "Who's next?" These things seem to come in threes. Who is the next public figure to die before the new year?

Returning to President Ford, I have heard a lot of carping in the past 24 hours about his pardon of Nixon. I've thought a lot about it myself. I was only 4 when he granted the pardon, so as you can imagine, i wasn't really paying attention at that time. In the interim, I have voratiously studied American 20th Century History, and my first degree was in Political Science. When I earned that degree, I had more intellect than wisdom (what 20 something doesn't?) and I roundly condemned the pardon. As I have picked up the mileage and years, I have thought again and again about this. It isn't that I've mellowed. Not really. I have learned to pick my battles, and if I turn a blowtorch in your direction, I'm not going away. He's my current analysis: Nixon was a jackass. I'm not so naive to think that he is the only president to engage in election chicanery. But he did get caught, and he lied about it. No mea culpa. No apologies of any sort. Just denial, and manuvering. The damage he inflicted on the public's perception of politics is incalculable. No quarter, and none asked for. His actions gave rise to the cynicism that dominates the political process today. His actions turned off an entire generation to politics. People who might have let their better natures take them into public service stopped caring and paying attention. Actual involvement became unthinkable. As a result, elements that have always been present, but rarely dominant in politics came into control. A government meant to serve the people ended up serving its own officials and the people who put them there.

But Ford's pardon of Nixon is a diferent matter. Would justice have been served by letting an investigation, indictment, and trial of Nixon? It is hard to say. While it would have demonstrated that not even the President is above the law, it would have impaired our country's ability to pay attention to anything else. If you asked me ten years ago if I thought the pardon was wrong, I would have said "YES!"

Now I can see the value of shutting the door on a process that would not have any positive benefit for the country, and surely cost Ford the next election. Doing it let those who wanted blood unsatisfied, but in no uncertain terms kept the country moving forward, rather than allowing it to linger over a period that we would rather forget. That took the conviction of a true public servant. Thank you Mr. President, for the example. Thank you Mr. Brown, for the music.
*exits to 'Funky Drummer'*