Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Passings






Very late New Years Day, my grandpa passed away in Michigan. He had been sick with Parkinsons and a few other problems for quite a while, so it wasn't a shock. He hasn't really seemed like Grandpa for a few years now.

With his passing, I become the eldest Blackiswhite male. I take comfort in the fact that he believed in God, and served him for most of his life. I have no doubt where he'll spend the rest of eternity. I also closely resemble him. I have more in common physically with him than I do with my own father. I suppose that bodes well for my life expectancy. I only wish my sons could have known him like I did.

Sometimes, at the edge of slumber, I think I'm back to a Michigan summer day at his house, getting ready to go swimming, or get in a boat. I can feel the humidity, smell the water, and feel his strong, patient presence that gave me the confidence and experience at some many different things when I was growing up. I miss him a lot these days.

(The top is Grandpa holding Heir No. 2, the bottom is Grandpa holding Heir No. 1. Both were taken in my parents' home in Michigan in April 2004, when there were two male Blackiswhites older than me. Heir No. 1 was almost 5, Heir Number 2 was about 2 months old.)