Friday, June 08, 2007

The Family You Choose

I was thinking this morning about family. Being an only child and the oldest male in my line of descent, I think about these things alot now. Last week Mrs. BiW and I met with Heir No. One's new psychiatrist, who will be helping him to cope with the different issues raised by his Aspergers Syndrome. During the discussion, my wife raised the opinion that my father had it and that I show signs of it. At this, the Doctor looked at me and asked, did you have trouble with social interaction when growing up. I said "No." He asked "What make you say that?" I replied, because even though I was an only child, I have four brothers. And I can be very social, I just don't choose to be on many occaisions."

My wife was forced to agree. I have four brothers. I will until the day I die. Even though one is in Britanistan, the other three in Michigan, and one of those in a self-imposed exile from the rest of us, they each know that they can count on me, and I on them, and I can carry that thought with me always.

*raising a glass*
Alex, Brian, Matt, and Jaime, freinds absent but not forgotten.