Thursday, October 11, 2007

Things that I am thankful for

In no particular order...

1. Breathing. No matter how much some things in my life cause me grief, pain, or just generally suck, it beats the alternative.

2. Losing weight. I'm actually wearing pants and shirts that I haven't worn in a while. The walking and the gym also help with stress, so I don't come across quite as frazzled as I feel lately.

3. Music. For few minutes, at least, I get to just stop and enjoy something that has always given me pleasure.

4. Employment. It hasn't exactly been a banner year, but I have a job, and most days, I like what I do because I actually get to help people. Besides, some of the stuff that comes across my desk is really high on the novelty factor.

5. My Boys. Seriously. I always knew that I would love my kids, but I never understood just how much. The fact that they are ALWAYS glad to see me when I get home or they get home has been a blessing beyond measure. I love watching them grow, and learn, and the fact that the things they have encountered and dealt with so far in their lives has done nothing to diminish the pure goodness in their hearts is such an inspiration, and caused me to change some of my sarcastic, curmudgeonly ways.

6. Living Conditions. Both cars paid for, food on the table, clothes on our backs, and a roof over our heads. Is it perfect? No, nothing ever is, and money is tight, but if I saw fit to complain, I would truely be an ingrate.

7. Faith and Hope. Cynics would see faith as a crutch. I see it as a catalyst for change. If you don't have faith, then you have no incentive to do what you ought to and try to become a better person. Without hope that is packaged with faith, there is no reason to believe that the changes faith creates have any meaning, purpose, or staying power.

8. Relationships. No man is an island, nor was he designed to be. That little bit took me a long time to learn, especially since I didn't have the best role model as a child. Now the most important relationship in my life, the flower that God meant me to care for, to cherish, and treasure, and to grow with, is in the midst of a garden that is completely overgrown with weeds, and trees. Still, I would rather be feeling the pain and despair of this dark place in which I find myself this with every iota of the pain that it brings, than to be the emotional cripple that I was. I'll never be perfect. I may never be enough...and that is a really hard blow to take, but I'd have a harder time living with myself if I didn't try. It is important. I need to finish what I start, no matter how much it hurts. No matter how many times I get hurt in the process.

9. Freinds. They are the ones who can cheer you up on a bad day and make you laugh even when you don't feel like it.

*I got this idea from Folly, who got it from DangerDoll. Sorry if I disappointed you by taking it in this direction, ma'am. If I went the other way, I'd still be typing.*