Friday, May 16, 2008

The Concert Was Fun

Every year, the Boss gets tickets to the Auburn Rotary Scholarship Show. He's a member of the Auburn Rotary, so he gets hit up for 4 fairly pricey tickets each year. He has to work at the show, so he doesn't use them. The last four years, I have scored at least two of the tickets. (Being a member of a neighboring Rotary Club not responsible for the show, I get to go enjoy myself.)

The show is always held at the Auburn Performing Arts Center, which is an 1100 seat venue, i.e. there are no bad seats. A local barbeque place sponsors with food, for the dinner, and normally, there are two shows. Two years ago, Phil Vassar was the headliner and it was a lot of fun. I really don't remember who it was last year. This year was the 25th Anniversary of the Show, and they only had one performance. The dinner was not up to the usual high standards, and the opening act was...interesting. The headliner made up for it. I'm not terribly familiar with his music, but the guy is a great perforrmer and singer and it was a lot of fun. Who was it? Blake Shelton. For me, the standout song of the night was this one, although Mrs. BiW would be very quick to disagree with me.



The drawback of a big act in such a small venue? It gets really LOUD. As in its at least a few hours until my hearing comes back loud. Oh well, never had it as bad as after seeing Queensryche at the Saginaw Civic Center in 1990. Two days. Two freaking days. I didn't think my hearing was ever coming back.