Monday, July 02, 2007

Reading Material

Ok, I haven't had a history of official endorsements, but I felt the need to speak up about this one.

"Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul"
and
"The Way of the Wild Heart: A Map for The Masculine Journey"
By John Eldridge

Up to the point I read the first one, I would have to categorize myself as an "Intellectual Christian". Its kind of like hearing the melody, but not the rhythym. The result is that I was not LIVING life true to myself. I was like a blind person, really only able to feel anger and irritation, which meant that I was making a mess of my home and my family. Well, a mess would be polite. I found myself in a very dire place, where I was in serious jeopardy of losing my family. I walk around the mall after work lead me to wander into the bookstore and find the first book. While I read it, I kept seeing so many things that made sense. A lot of sense.

For the first time in years, I actually have some feelings and emotions. I'm fighting everyday for my marriage and my boys, not taking anything for granted, and understanding that I have have to continue changing who I am and how I do things regardless of whether my wife and boys will decide that I'm someone they want to live with.

That isn't to say that I don't wrestle with doubts and uncertainties, but the difference is that I am not afraid any more. Turning all of that over and living faith grants a kind of peace that nothing else brings.

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea; I don't expect anyone to change what they are doing in their own lives (Dick comes to mind). I just wanted to let everyone know what is going on in mine...you must have at least a "I can't turn away from the train wreck" fascination. After all, you're reading it.