Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Episcopal Church Must Have A Differrent Bible.

Despite death threats, gay bishop plans civil union
It’s ‘what God is calling me to do,’ says controversial clergyman


TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 8:25 a.m. PT, Thurs., May. 8, 2008
Episcopal bishop Gene Robinson knows he is inviting death threats by entering into a civil union with his gay partner on the eve of his church’s biggest ecclesiastical conference. And he says it is worth it, because he is doing what God asks of him.

1. Death threats. If true, despicable. God takes care of his own business and in his own time.
2. What God asks of him??? He must be reading a different Bible. I have a King James, New King James, NIV, and NASB, and the prohibitions all read pretty much the same. I don't understand.


“When your life is at stake, you learn that there are things in life that are much worse than death,” Bishop Robinson told TODAY’s Matt Lauer Thursday in New York. “That’s the great reward of being a Christian. Not living your life — that’s worse than death. And if something were to happen to me, I would know that I am doing what I discern God is calling me to do.”

Of course the God who has specifically proscribed these behaviors probably has something very different for you in death then what you seem to be contemplating.

In 2003, Robinson became the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church when he was elected by the congregations of New Hampshire. Dubbed “the most controversial Christian in the world,” he faced death threats then and wore a bulletproof vest during his consecration. Now, he has announced that he will “marry” Mark Andrew, his partner of some 20 years, a move sure to outrage conservatives in his religion.

Maybe its just me, but I have real trouble with this guy using the appellation "Christian". I'm gonna go hurl now.