Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Looking Up to See the Bottom of My Shoes

It was suggested to me today that I am failing as a father because I don't have a group of guys, or a least a friend or two that I go out and do "Guy things" with, and therefore, I am not showing my son by example that it is ok to have freinds, to do things with freinds, and to occaisonally have freinds over. This is a pretty sore spot since he does have a certain set of social difficulties and could use this example to his advantage.

It was also suggested that I like being on the computer more than I like being with people. I countered that it wasn't true, but that I deal with other attorneys all day and that I think that many of them are jerks. Many of the people I do talk to online I would try to do things with, but most of them live in other parts of the country. The computer simply fits my schedule (work and being Dad) better than cutting "Dad time", which usually only averages a few hours a day.

I need to find a hobby, and connect with a freind who is a lawyer-non-knucklehead here in the state, and figure out if I have been cheating myself out of contact that I need to really be me. And I need to figure out when I'll have time for this. Any suggestions?