Thursday, October 18, 2007

Digital Age Recycling

Was going through some of my stuff from a time when I used to get reflective with a pen in my hand and stopped on this one. Somewhat appropriate since it is the fall now.

MAPLE'S SONG
Once, I was almost there.
Suspended, high in the air,
I could feel gravity's pull,
But was never subject to its power.
I was free to touch the sky,
To taste the fog's concealing cloak,
To drink the rain before it touched the ground,
To bask too long in the rays of the sun.

I knew what it was like to be part of the whole.

This cycle, like countless others, came to an end.
The days grew colder.
Gravity's tug felt like a death grip.
Soon I was separated, and riding the wind,
but this too, ended quickly.
I rested among the sleeping blades of green.

The tynes gather quickly, and soon I rested among the others.
The match was struck.
The flame devoured as it met, but I enjoyed it.
Once again, I was carried, on a column of air,
Skyward, ever skyward.