Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Piece of my Past

An Open Letter to Tiffany

You asked me once
Why I turned my back
and shut the door
Closing all contact
Between out hearts.

I hesitated and fled, not knowing
The root of my own actions.

The passage of time
And greater awareness of self
have plucked the parcel of truth
From the unknown inside
And lain it at my feet
Silently awaiting opening.

You were more than I was ready for
A lake of commitment
With depth
Unfathomable from the surface
An early envoy of responsibility
With a tameness of character
I feared
And had no intention of matching.

And now things are different
Headstrong intentions
Have been replaced by cunning and craft
The angry young man
Seeks to make changes
Starting with himself
By seeking a peace
That he has rarely known
And wearily sought after.