Monday, October 29, 2007

With Boys, Its Different

I came across this story tonight and it got me thinking a bit.

My first thought? Well, I have two boys instead of daughters, so I only need to worry about two penises instead of all of them. (Sorry, Alex.)

But the headline:
Critics decry states’ teen sex laws
got me thinking "Who are these critics?"

So I read on.

"And the rising popularity of sex offender registries can often mean that a teen nabbed for nonviolent contact with someone a year or two younger might face the same public stigma as a dangerous sexual predator."

Yeah, because there simply aren't enough sexual predators to prosecute. This is the danger in this kind of thinking. These people actually sit around all day long trying to think up a reason to attack laws rather than obey them. While I see things daily that will make me question the system, I have every confidence that Bobby Robert isn't going to end up on a sex offender registry for getting a hummer or a hot n sweaty backseat quicky from Betty Lou after the game, and even if he does, THAT'S WHAT APPEALS ARE FOR. I have yet to find an appeals court that would look favorably on such a conviction.

But it doesn't stop there.

"Lawyers and health educators say most teens — and even many parents — are unaware that even consensual teenage sex is often a crime. The patchwork of laws and ages from state to state leaves many confused and critics say more education is badly needed."

Yeah, I'm gonna leave sex ed and legal information up to the people who can't even get Johnny to read or pass 6th grade math. Maybe when I'm six days dead. Maybe.

But at least some states are showing a glimmer of creativity in solving the problem.
"Some states have moved in recent months to craft so-called Romeo and Juliet exceptions to prevent sexually active teenagers from being lumped together with child molesters."

"Indiana changed its law so that teens in “dating relationships” would not be prosecuted. Exactly what that means is unclear, said Larry Landis, executive director of the Indiana Public Defender Council."

It means when Daddy doesn't mind that the pimply-faced half-wit from down the street gets caught doing his little girl. Mr. Landis obviously doesn't have children.

“Most of the time they just tell kids, ’Use condoms,”’ Wilson told The Associated Press"

Well, if yer gonna play in the rain, you should wear your rubbers.

“That’s not the only thing they need to know about sex. They need to know that they can actually go to jail.”

Screw jail. They need to know how well armed Daddy is and how good a shot he is. That was the object lesson the first time I showed up to take my wife out on a date when we were in High School, and my now Father-in-Law got to have a talk with me while he was cleaning his guns. Nothing intimidating, mind you. More of a "Just sos you know." kinda thing. More fathers like that might do a lot to reduce the teen pregnancy rate.