Friday, December 28, 2007

Stuff for the New Year

No doubt everyone will start posting their thoughts and wishes for the new year. I've had some time to think about it, so here goes:

1. Live Boldly. Love extravagantly. Excelsior. Try things I always wanted to do. Self-check for the right reasons. Take possession of what has been promised.

2. Date more. I was blessed enough to marry the only woman I ever loved. Its long past time to do things with her and her alone that let her feel how cherished and adored she is.

3. Lose 100 lbs. Yeah, this is going to be tough. Requires mucho gym time, being very careful about what I eat, and more physical activity. But if I start getting a lot more into shape, I'll feel better, get flirted with even more at the grocery store, make my doc happy, and be around a lot longer for my family. Oh for the days when I had the time to run 12 miles a day, or cycle 100 miles a day.

4. Get serious about my novel. This is going to be a hard one also. It will mean setting weekly goals for how much to write, but thanks to the opinions of a few close friends regarding the chapter that has to be the best thing I've written in over a decade, I believe that I can actually write something that someone will want to read. Thank you to you all. You know who you are.

5. Continue working on relationships. At the end of the day, this is the stuff that matters. Things like your relationship with your spouse are the only things in your life that you ever get to have complete control over, and its time to stop settling and start building. The clients will never come and stand over my grave, thanking me for all that time I spent working on their stuff. I'd rather have the people I love tell stories about the ways I touched their lives and left memories that will always leave smiles on their faces. That means filling the shoes I have only ever looked at, and remembering the one man in my life who I felt set a good example for this: my Grandpa.

6. Make my job more satisfying or change it. There is a lot a like about my job. There is a lot more that I don't. This year, I take it and make it mine, or I move on to somewhere else. I hear Pierce County is hiring a new District Court Commissioner. Maybe I should take the path my law school comrades thought I would take and don the black robe?

7. Read a different translation of the Bible in a year.


What are you gonna do?