Thursday, December 06, 2007

Validation Sometimes Comes From the Best Places

Heir No. One always has a writing assignment as part of his weekly homework. He can choose from one of three topics, then he must write about it for at least 10 minutes.
One of the topics is always whatever you want. I steer him away from this. I can only read so much about Legos. The other two topics this week were "If you could be an animal, what kind of animal would you be?" the other was "Who is the most important person in your life?"

I read the two topics to him. He said "A lion! But I wanna write about the other."

"OK." I replied. And I set the timer, thinking I would soon be perusing an essay about Papa or Mom. I scanned a few blogs, and before I knew it, the timer went off. I looked over my laptop, to where he was still busy writing on the paper on the other side of the table. This was unusual, since he normally couldn't set his pencil down soon enough when the beeping starts. I watched as I got up and turned the timer off. He finished, and when I came back, he handed it to me with a big smile on his face, gave me a hug, and went off to get ready for a bath.

This is what it said:

the very important person is my dad. he teaches me new things. love you dad. do you want to play with me sometime. I hope you will. love E****. bye bye. love E**** W.

I wish I knew what I did to deserve such unconditional love and admiration, but I am certainly glad that he gives it to me. I hope I never let him down.