Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Tomorrow, The Knife

I go to get the cataract removed from my right eye tomorrow (Wednesday) morning. I was pretty nervous about it last week. Its always a thrill to hear the Doc say "Well, you're a lot younger than most of our patients, so you are more likely to have some...interesting complications later in life."

The pause was palpable until I finally bit. "Like what?"

"Well, at some time in the future, its conceivable that if you suffer some sort of hard blow to the head, the lens could become misalligned, and then surgery would be necessary to put it back into place, or the materials might start to breakdown after long term exposure to your body..."

Lovely.

Yet, for some reason, I feel pretty calm about this. I like the prospect of being able to see clearly, and only needing glasses to read (since he so politely demonstrated that despite my perception that my vision is fine in my left eye, I have one there, too, only it just isn't as advanced. Therefore, I'll probably fix that one too.) And I was pleased to find out that they aren't related to any other medical condition. I'm just part of a small group of people who develop them for no reason at all while still relatively young.

I don't know what I'll feel like when I get home. I may not post or check my email at all. I might feel fine. Either way, expect me when you see me. And if no one hears from me for a few days, don't sweat it. It just means that I died.