Sunday, November 04, 2007

Apparently there is more going on here than I thought...

I left the house last night for a little while. I decided finally that I wanted to go to the gym, and I went to a local store to buy a pair of sweatpants. The two pairs I have are looking pretty sad. I found pair of Russels I liked and tried them on, only to discover that they were too big. I had to go a size smaller, and those were even loose for sweats.

I got to the gym, ready to start on one of the bikes. I had a copy of Ann Coulter's How to Talk to A Liberal (If You Must), and my MP3 player was blasting in my ears, but I watched ESPN the entire time instead. I kept trying to see the UM/MSU score. I was enjoying myself and cranking along about as hard as I used to when I was a cyclist, back in my younger and stupider days. When I finished, I was surpised to see that I had cranked out ten miles...on a recumbant!

On to the treadmill, where I finally saw the score and some highlights, which were all celebrated in the proper manner...fists in the air, trashtalk loud enough for me to hear over the Mp3 Player, etc. At least one of my fellow gym patrons seemed amused by my obvious joy. I can't say the same for the rest. Before I knew it, I had walked a mile and a half, on a 4 to 1 incline.

Then my circuit of strength training. And out the door.

I understand endorphine highs. When I ran track, I usde to run 12 miles a day. I used to cycle 100 miles or more in a day on the weekend, but to say I was "up" when I left, is like saying the sky is blue. It tells you something, but not much. The best part? The minute my head hit the pillow, I was out cold until the now-habitual nightmare visit from E in the early morning.

The sunrise this morning was very nice, until the clouds rolled in. Since I don't hurt that much, I may go again this afternoon.