Monday, November 12, 2007

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me...

...So I came across this list of movies that make men cry.

Yeah, right. Whatever. Sorry, not a single one of these has ever moved me to tears, no matter how brief. That isn't to say that I haven't been. I can admit that out loud. As long as we're in a listing mood...In no particular order...

1. Lawrence of Arabia. The first thing that pops into my head is the saying "Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first drive mad."

2. Paths to Glory. I could have been Kirk Douglas screaming at his commanding officer. The best Kubrick movie ever.

3. A Bridge Too Far. Which could have also been titled "Why you don't let the British make your battle plans." Way too high a cost paid simply due to piss poor planning. Gene Hackman had the best line in the whole movie.

4. Forrest Gump. First, Gary Sinese in the best frickin performance put on film in my lifetime. Second, the scene when Forrest is talking to his wife at her grave at the end makes my throat close up every single time.

5. Gladiator. Maximus' death was too high a price to pay for a people that wouldn't rise up and squash Commitus like the pathetic bug he was.

6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The best Bond story hindered by the worst Bond performance. Dude, they killed Diana Rigg!

7. On the Wings Of Eagles. The fictionalized account of the life of Frank 'Spig" Wead. The part at the end when he is retired due to his poor heart condition, and even his old rival from the Army shows up to see him over the side one last time...